Professional Expectations of Fellows
Fellows of the Academy shall be engaged in all of the following:
- Research leading to an understanding of the processes involved in biological responses occurring from exposure to chemical, biological, or physical agents.
- The interpretation of data describing toxic effects occurring in humans or experimental animals from exposure to chemical, biological, or physical agents that lead to an evaluation of the hazards of these agents to human and other populations.
- The application of toxicological data to the development of health and environmental standards.
Practicing toxicologists are certified based on peer review of the following three focus areas, as reflected on the ATS application form:
- Education, both formal and continuing;
- Professional practice of toxicology as evidenced by scholarly publications and non-published technical reports and integrated analyses, editorial services to scientific journals, participation on external and internal toxicology-related committees, professional society membership(s), scientific presentations, attendance at scientific meetings, teaching responsibilities, etc.; and
- Professional recognition reflected by career advancement, elected and/or appointed service with national and international professional/technical committees and review bodies, invited presentations, and professional honors and awards.